Re: move 9i r2 database on host 1 to 10g r1 on another host

From: Harel Safra <harel.safra_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 00:05:19 +0300

The documentation says you can:

9i:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/tspaces.htm#22301
"It is always possible to transport a tablespace from a database running an older release of Oracle (starting with Oracle8i) to a database running a newer release of Oracle (for example, Oracle9i)."

10g:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/tspaces.htm#sthref1297

Table 8-1 Minimum Compatibility Requirements

Transport Scenario Minimum Compatibility Setting
Source Database Target Database

Databases on the same platform

8.0

8.0

Harel Safra

Michael Fontana wrote:
I do not believe you can plug in a 9i datafile into a 10g database using transportable tablespace.

However, you can copy all of the datafiles from a 9i database which is down, and then "open upgrade" with the 10g binaries, assuming all infrastructure details are consistent (OS, endian, etc).....