Re: move 9i r2 database on host 1 to 10g r1 on another host

From: Harel Safra <harel.safra_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:36:18 +0300

Let me add another option:

If the servers are running the same OS on the same architecture you should be able to create a new DB on host 2 and then use transportable tablespace to copy the datafiles to host 2 and plug them in the new DB.

You get the advantages of a new, clean DB but the copying the datafiles should be faster than exp+imp.

Harel Safra

sundar mahadevan wrote:

Hi Martin,
I read through the link that you provided. Personally, i woud prefer DBUA to do the upgrade. To my understanding, DBUA requires the database to up. In my case, there are no 9i binaries on Host 2. Host 1 is completely 9i and Host 2 is completely 10gr1. So I cannot bring the 9i database up on 10gr1.
In this scenario, I believe the options I have are:
1) to install 10gr1 software on Host 1 and do the upgrade with DBUA and then copy all the datafiles to Host2 later and startup the database.
2) Create a database on host 2 and use export/import from host1 (9i). Whats your say?

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Martin Berger <martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Sundar,

you are correct. shutdown the DB, copy all datafiles, controlfiles,
redologs to the same path in the new environment.
don't forget the spfile/init.ora

I found a quite good walkthrough which should help you to perform the upgrade:

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/UpgradingTo10g.php

I hope this helps.

best regards,
 Martin

--
Martin Berger           martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com
Lederergasse 27/2/14           +43 660 660 83306

-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Aug 11 2009 - 13:36:18 CDT

Original text of this message