Re: move 9i r2 database on host 1 to 10g r1 on another host

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:07:36 -0700

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Martin Berger <martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> Sundar,
> does host1 and host2 have the same OS and CPU-family?
> In this case you just can copy the database and upgrade it.

That is a workable solution.

However, if an exp/imp of the data into a new database is feasible, then you may want to give that some consideration.

Upgraded databases at times carry some old baggage along with them.

I've worked on databases that were originally 8.0.3, and now upgraded to 10.2.0.4. This does at times cause problems. I've run into issues upgrading
those databases, issues that would not have been present had we been able to start with a clean database. I don't recall now just what the issues
were, but they did make life somewhat difficult for awhile.

Just some food for thought.

Jared Still