Grid Control SQL Server plugin alternative

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 12:16:52 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

So, not being able to justify the $1800/CPU for the Grid Control SQL Server plugin licensing, I've written my own (thanks in large part to the wonderful information available from Alex Gorbachev!). At this point, it's truly a "Better Than Nuttin'" solution, providing only an up/down status plus basic DB name, owner, recovery model, size, backup dates, etc.

Being a solo DBA with few tools for SQL Server management, this should help me get a hold on some of the more mundane "are the DBs OK?" tasks without the need to login to each server directly. And the potential alerts (we have the Diagnostics Pack licensed) are a bonus as well.

It's not a final product by any means, but it'll do what I really need for now. I hope to add performance metrics (such as they are in SS) someday.

AFAIK, there is no licensing requirement outside of what is already required for GC operation, but I've been proven wrong on several other licensing threads. :) Also, the only "external" software requirements are a SQL Server (duh) and a manually created DSN to connect to it.

Anyone have thoughts or interest in providing feedback on this "BTN" plugin?  I'd appreciate being contacted off-list.

Thanks!
Rich