RE: Philosophical question on primary keys

From: Kenneth Naim <kennaim_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 12:25:57 -0400

I'd go with adding the second index for all the reasons listed. If that query is taking up 92% of the io, I'd rather invest the effort on insert and still maintain the unique constraint of the message id column, in case a bug comes up where the same message_id's exists with different folder_id's. Does the message_id or folder_id column get updated, if it doesn't then only additional overhead is insert which should be minimal relative to the benefit.

The amount of LIO seems high for a query that just accesses a single row within the index. Are you sure there isn't something else going on?

Ken