Multiple Instance in Unix

From: Amir Gheibi <>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:18:08 +0800

Hi listers,
I have a HP Unix box that has Oracle 10g R2 installed on it. There is already an instance running and a database attached to it. I need to create another instance and database. There is no X Server installed on the OS. I created the first database through command line.

My question is whether I have to create another OS user in order to create the new instance? Or I can use the same OS user (oracle:dba) to create the new instance? As I need to set environment variables then if I use the same OS user, what would happen to the first instance?

Is there a guideline on how to do this?

~ Amir Gheibi