RE: Oracle Server tuning guide for RAC nodes (2-node and 3-node) with 64-GB and 128GB memory

From: Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 11:24:54 -0400

The only issue I have ever encountered on these systems is when you are trying to run multiple processes that use floating point math. An excellent example is a RMAN backup using backupset compression, or compress / gzip etc. The processors may have something like 4 / 8 / 16 cores or 32 / 64 threads (I cannot remember exactly) but the actual number of floating point units is far smaller- if you try to run something like a massive RMAN with 8 or 16 streams AND compression, you can bring the system to its knees. Turning off compression brings things back to normal, or only use compression with 1-4 threads per actual cpu socket.

There are some Sun performance blogs that contradict my findings, OR they did not use RMAN compression, but this is my real-world experience.

Other than that, these machines can do some astounding amounts of workvery  impressive and cost effective. They also make great application / web servers.

From: Tim Gorman [mailto:tim_at_evdbt.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 5:44 PM
To: Pradeep Chetal
Cc: Oracle-L Freelists

One doesn't "tune systems"; one tunes workloads.

Pradeep Chetal wrote:
> Folks
>
> We are working with a customer where we are looking at 2-node and
3-node
> RAC with 64 GB/128GB memory systems. So far our systems were with 32
GB
> memory. These base system are T5240s (Sun T-Series CMT).
>
> If anyone has recommendation for tuning of these large memory systems,
> please reply to me and I can summarize for the list later.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Pradeep
>

> Pradeep Chetal
> Sr. Director - Infrastructure Architecture
>

> Mformation Technologies Inc.
> Switchboard: +1 732 692 6200
>

> Visit WWW.MFORMATION.COM and see how the MFORMATION SERVICE MANAGER
can help you to transform your business