ok this sounds crazy BUT, is it a bug

From: <TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 11:16:29 -0400

Ok 11.1.0.7 data guard setup, test environment on solaris.

I've configured(you'd think this shouldn't be possible),

To do standby redo log apply but NOT real-time with a delay.

Here is the output from dg broker for the standby database:

    DGConnectIdentifier             = 'testdg2'
    ObserverConnectIdentifier       = 'testdg2'
    LogXptMode                      = 'ASYNC'
    DelayMins                       = '1'

Delay minute of 1 with using ASYNC, meaning standby redo logs NOT archive logs, othewise LogXptMode would say "ARCH"

Here is parameter on standby:

log_archive_dest_1                   string location="/u02/home/oracle/arc
                                                 h/unix06/testdg2",
valid_for=
                                                 (ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES)

------------------------

ok the primary setup:

    DGConnectIdentifier             = 'testdg1'
    ObserverConnectIdentifier       = 'testdg1'
    LogXptMode                      = 'ASYNC'
    DelayMins                       = '0'

Here is parameter on primary:

log_archive_dest_2                   string      service="testdg2", LGWR
ASY
                                                 NC NOAFFIRM delay=1
OPTIONAL c
                                                 ompression=DISABLE
max_failure
                                                 =0 max_connections=1
reopen=
                                                 300
db_unique_name="testdg2" n
                                                 et_timeout=30
valid_for=(onli
                                                 ne_logfile,primary_role)

I'm toying with Oracle Active Data Guard so the standby is in read-only open mode, while transactions SHOULD be being applied but i'm up to 52.8 minutes of apply lag showing in OEM.

I'm thinking i'm hitting a bug, or a bad configuration that Oracle's letting me do. If i change the delay back to 0, meaning real-time apply, everything catches up and we're good. All logs have shipped to standby and "supposedly" been applied.

Kinda weird, anyone else playing in this world?

thanks, joe

Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional
(Work) 614-677-1668
(Cell) 614-312-6715

Interested in helping out your marriage? Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"
Dec 11-13, 2009 here in Columbus.