RE: Differentiate between VIP,Public IP and Private IP

From: hrishy <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:21:55 +0000 (GMT)

Hi

This is a system i was trying to build.

regards
Hrishikesh

From: Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com> Subject: RE: Differentiate between VIP,Public IP and Private IP To: hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk, exriscer_at_gmail.com Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Date: Thursday, 30 July, 2009, 4:46 PM

Is this a system you are starting to build, or has this system already been built and you are trying to figure out which IP was used for what purpose ?

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of hrishy Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:14 AM
To: exriscer_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Differentiate between VIP,Public IP and Private IP

Hi

Any way to differentiate betwen VIP and Public IP or they are interchangeable

regards

Hrishy

From: LS Cheng < exriscer_at_gmail.com > Subject: Re: Differentiate between VIP,Public IP and Private IP To: "hrishy" < hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk >
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Date: Thursday, 30 July, 2009, 10:02 AM

Hi

VIP and PUBLIC IP must be in same network so that might give you a hint

Private IP should be something like 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.*

Thanks

--
LSC

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM, hrishy <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hi

Apologies for not wording the question properly.

When the sysadmins gives me a bunch of IP's they are just numbers seperated by dots.How would i know i need to use this number for VIP this number for public IP and this number for private interconnect.

regards Hrishy

--- On Thu, 30/7/09, LS Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com> wrote: From: LS Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com> Subject: Re: Differentiate between VIP,Public IP and Private IP To: hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Date: Thursday, 30 July, 2009, 9:57 AM

Hi Public IP is for the server (like any other server physical IP) VIP for Database access (provides Failover and Failback if configured) and must be in the same subnet as Public IP Private IP for Clusterware heartbeat and RAC Cache Fusion Regards -- LSC On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM, hrishy <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote: Hi

If my System administrator gives me bunch of IP's for installation of RAC cluster
 how would i know which ip is to be used for

Public IP Private IP for the interconnect VIP

regards Hrishy