RE: changing init.ora and spfile

From: Bobak, Mark <>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 15:03:00 -0400

And have that comment recorded somewhere in the data dictionary, and automatically dumped when you did a 'create pfile from spfile;'. do I file an enhancement request?

From: [] On Behalf Of Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 2:39 PM
Cc:;;; Subject: RE: changing init.ora and spfile

For the same reason, I prefer init.ora over spfile. I can put comments for reason for specific parameter value, group similar parameters (e.g. all memory related parameter together etc). Putting comments also satisfy auditors.

Sent by:

Jul 31 2009 02:29 PM
Please respond to

RE: changing init.ora and spfile

My only problem with creating pfile from spfile is I lose all of the internal documentation, why can't oracle keep all of those # lines in the spfile, dooohhh.

Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional (Work) 614-677-1668
(Cell) 614-312-6715

Interested in helping out your marriage? Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"
Dec 11-13, 2009 here in Columbus.

<>, <>

07/31/2009 01:19 PM

RE: changing init.ora and spfile

Sent by:

You can do that. What I usually do is create a pfile from spfile (don't overwrite your changes if you have already edited yours. Then I can keep a human readable copy around. So do your renaming or whatever, and put in place the new init<>.ora file.

Create spfile from pfile;
(sometimes I do the reverse also for same reasons as above, create pfile from spfile).
Startup (it will use the spfile you just created). (Works as a test also, redundant or not).

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546