RE: Solaris 10 and Oracle 10g - swap space problem

From: Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:57:51 -0400

I played around extensively with sga_max_size, sga_target, DISM and ISM related settings etc. without success- whatever I do for oracle shared memory segments gets mapped to swap space. Also, instance startup seems to be really slow due to the swap initialization, but once the instance is running it seems fine. I have not found much on Metalink addressing this issue- does anybody have a Metalink or Sun technote that addresses this issue ?

From: Don Seiler [mailto:don_at_seiler.us] Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:54 AM
To: mathias.magnusson_at_gmail.com
Cc: Crisler, Jon; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Solaris 10 and Oracle 10g - swap space problem

IIRC, lock_sga isn't valid in Solaris.

Jon, do you have sga_max_size explicitly set? I seem to recall this behavior on Solaris 10 when sga_max_size was set explicitly. It caused us much grief if we set sga_max_size to more than half of the total physical memory on the box.

Don.