Re: How do you feel about allowing non-DBA's on your database servers?

From: Tony van Lingen <tony_vanlingen_at_technologyonecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:49:42 +1000

Which is an argument for contracting the developers to do the on-going support as well. We manage a lot of applications which produce a right-royal verbal diarreah of trace info, and they are all apps that were written by companies that were contracted beforehand to do the on-going app support as well. That gave them an incentive to put effort into understanding their application and what would be useful in troubleshooting and build a good trace facility in. We don't give them prod access (or acceptance test even) as a rule - they've got to use their app.

Unfortunately they tend to leave the tracing running in maximum verbosity mode..

Cheers,
Tony