Re: How do you feel about allowing non-DBA's on your database servers?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 22:14:18 +0100

that'll generally be because of economics - no really.

a trace facility is of interest to those who primarily troubleshoot systems - the people who ask "what happened?, when? for how long? why?" These people are not generally developers. arguably they should be, but they aren't and the likelihood of them being so is reducing over time. The people who can effectively implement a trace/debug facility are in fact developers. They however, are rightly, interested in what they are employed for which is delivering 'features' fast and cheap. trace costs development effort and doesn't reward anyone involved in the development. of course offloading responsibility for production performance issues to developers may not be especially popluar with this group, but I bet the resultant systems would be.

Niall

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:00 AM, Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>wrote:
>

>> Has anyone seen a development implementing really useable trace
>>> environments?
>>>

>> No. And it shuts them off real quick!
>> ;)
>>

> That's something I just can't understand.
>
> How do they develop software without a decent trace built in?
>
> Implementing a trace system with different levels
> of verbosity isn't very difficult.
>
> Jared Still

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA