Re: GRID

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 20:11:56 +0100

No!

I am saying that pretty much all the added cost functionality of Grid just exposes stuff that is already added cost, and of course that most people that whinge about the GC *cost* don't also whinge about not being allowed to run sql statements against the same views from their own scripts. But emailing an alert to you so you know it happens is added cost, but I don't see *why* it should be given that database email is even part of XE.

Brandon's approach of course has the advantage of working when the db is down.

Niall

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Rich Jesse<rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com> wrote:
> Niall!
>
>> The only real cost in implementing basic GC is that the repo needs a
>> licensed db server to run on, as does your rman catalog if you use
>> one. You are correct that most of the really useful features expose
>> extra cost options,such as ash etc, but you still need to license
>> those features anyway if you access them via sql or other tools. The
>> only thing that I can think of as an exception to this is the
>> notifications that are licenseable when utl_mail would do just fine.
>>
>> Niall Litchfield
>
> Interesting -- are you saying that there's a legal method for notification
> within Grid Control that does not require the Diagnostics Pack?
>
> I thought I had this licensing junk finally all straight in my noggin...
 :)

> Rich

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA