Re: How do you feel about allowing non-DBA's on your database servers?

From: Subodh Deshpande <subodh_deshpande_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 02:41:20 -0700 (PDT)

yes its huge risk and there is no recylcle bin like windows on UNIX based platforms.
Only dba's and sysadmin should be allowed to access OS and Databases.
May I suggest you, how about if you and or your client think about followings
In many environments the role of sysadmin and DBAs is purposely kept separate for additional security and ease of work
DBA's only have DBA related access privs granted and
sysadmin do OS realted jobs.
If at all DBA requires root access(requires only when os patching or new product installation), OS patch applications, information about ports, disks, mount points and other devices, DBA can obtain this information from sysadmin or can get it done by communicating sysadmin. OR by creating pseudo root DBA can still do some of these tasks.

thanks and take care..subodh