Connect time failover question(non-rac)

From: <TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:07:43 -0400

Ok so I'm finishing up with the experimentation for 11g Data guard, 11.1.0.7 on solaris right now, not RAC.

Here is what I want to do but can't seem to get to work:

using tnsnames.ora, I want to put both the standby and primary database in a single entry to do so connect time failover, try testdg1 (its normally the primary), if it fails(let's assume we had to do a switchover), then try testdg2 on different host.

Sounds straightforward right? So I thought, what appears to be happening is since the standby is mounted, sqlnet won't return back a failure so i just end up with this error:

ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress Process ID: 0
Session ID: 0 Serial number: 0

Why because its trying to connect to what is now the standby but its FIRST in the entries for addresses, here is my tnsnames entries

TESTDG =
  (DESCRIPTION =
   (ADDRESS_LIST=
(FAILOVER=ON)
(LOAD_BALANCE=OFF)

     (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = unixtest06)(PORT = 1526))
     (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = unixtest02)(PORT = 1526))
   )
(CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = testdg1)

   (FAILOVER_MODE =
(BACKUP=testdg2)(type=session)(method=basic)(retries=12)(delay=5))
    )
  )

primary is on unixtest02 and standby is on unixtest06, so I put 06 first on purpose for testing. But it appears sqlnet is NOT returning a failure just what you see above.

I got to be missing something simple here but I just don't see it.

The whole reason for this exercise is during a switchover/failover I don't want to have to make changes to OID/tnsnames.ora for app server to reconnect, if they always connect to testdg, we'd be good.

Someone please enlighten me in the error of my ways.

thanks, joe

Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional (Work) 614-677-1668
(Cell) 614-312-6715

Interested in helping out your marriage? Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"
Dec 11-13, 2009 here in Columbus.