RE: Oracle block dump

From: Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:45:26 +0200

Hi Rich

> I have a DBA which I would like to dump:
> Block header dump: 0x12703cff
>
> I think this block belongs to a bigfile tablespace.
>
> How do I convert this to a file number and block?

Two things here:

  1. Bigfile tablespaces have a single datafile for which the relative file number is always 1024. In other words, it is NOT encoded in the RDBA. Therefore, the RDBA you see only contains the block number (i.e. 309345535).
  2. When you dump a block you need the absolute file number (not the relative one...). So, you have to look at v$datafile to find the file number.

HTH
Chris Antognini

Troubleshooting Oracle Performance, Apress 2008 http://top.antognini.ch