Re: NLS params difference

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 21:12:40 +0200

Maria Gurenich schrieb:

Please, define "normal" ;-)
The difference in the parameter can be easily explained - whether it meets you expectation - it is up to you... nls_database_parameters shows values for different nls settings which were valid for the session at the timepoint of database creation ( either default values or set explicitly in the session). Show parameter give you values valid for current session, which can be easily changed ( for example per logon trigger), so values can differ.

Best regards

Maxim
> Hi people.
> Please, tell me what am I missing here? Did I forget something? I am
> not sure I am following, why it is:
>
> 14:40:48 db_manager_at_prod8> select * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS where
> parameter='NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS';
>
> PARAMETER VALUE
> ------------------------------
> *NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS BYTE*
>
> Elapsed: 00:00:00.01
> 14:41:34 db_manager_at_prod8> show parameter NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS
>
> NAME TYPE VALUE
> *nls_length_semantics string CHAR*
>
> Oracle 10.2.0.4, NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET=AL16UTF16
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Thanks,

Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?

Aksel Peter Jørgensen