RE: issues explaining performance issues to clients

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:11:55 -0400

Lot of info missing here.

So the requirement is "no matter what we query or how we query it, it must be as fast as we say it should be, and our adhoc requirements are more important than prod"? It doesn't make sense. How can that be done for adhoc wide open access? I think 55 secs is quite reasonable performance for people doing who knows what. But, if it was me and I had that type of requirement. I would copy the table somewhere once nightly, bitmap index all the columns and let them have at it.

What does "where clauses that we do not currently have an index to support" mean?

If you have a table with columns a,b,c,d,e and currently have an index on a,b,c and someone uses a,b,c,d in a where clause do you then add an index on a,b,c,d?