Question on password file

From: Kumar Madduri <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:24:38 -0700

Environment:2 node rac; no spfile;
$ORACLE_HOME/dbs is shared between the two nodes (only dbs directory, not the $ORACLE_HOME)
If i want to create a password file, should I create one password file for both instances or two password files (one for each). I want to use this password file to copy to standby server to set up Dataguard.

I am thinking if I create it like this
orapwd file=orapwSID1 password=abc force=y orapwd file=orapwSID2 password=abc force=y

it does not matter which one I copy but is it required to create two password files in such a scenario or just one password file would suffice.

Thank you
- Kumar