RE: Production problem: Fuzzy standby database

From: Johnson, George <George.Johnson_at_gam.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:28:23 +0100

If I can ask, how were the file backups taken? If you do simple copy or split mirror type backups and forget to "begin backup", it does this, block SCNs in the files cause the files to go "fuzzy", the answer is to keep on applying redo to until you pull all blocks in the files forward out of fuzzy mode.

Easy to recreate, simply bang a load of data into a datafile while you copy it off, without putting it in backup mode. Remove the tbs dbf and recover from the "bad" copy file, under 11g you get a slight more helpful message in the alertlog.

"WARNING! Recovering data file 4 from a fuzzy backup. It might be an online backup taken without entering the begin backup command."

Keep applying the archives until it recovers the file past the fuzzy blocks.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Charles Schultz Sent: 17 July 2009 15:01
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: Production problem: Fuzzy standby database

Good day,

I have a feeling my head is not screwed on right this morning, so forgive me if I am missing something obvious. We have a 10.2.0.2 physical standby on Solaris 10; when put into any kind of recovery mode, all the datafiles have this message in the alert log: Warning: Datafile nnn (xxx) is media recovery fuzzy Standby database will not open with this datafile online!

Applying more redo has not helped, yet. Not finding much on google or metalinks, and I hate to open an SR at this point because our experience is that they typically take a long time.

Any quick thoughts? Or rather, let me clearly state I would rather not have guesses at this point, but solutions that are known to work and would be relevant to us.

--
Charles Schultz

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This message is provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as an invitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or related financial instruments. GAM operates in many jurisdictions and is regulated or licensed in those jurisdictions as required.
To the extent this email has been sent to you by any GAM company domiciled in the EU, being GAM (U.K.) Limited, GAM Sterling Management Limited, GAM International Management Limited, GAM London Limited, GAM Fund Management Limited, or GAM Fonds Marketing GmbH i.L., please note the following details in respect of each such company: - GAM (U.K.) Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in England and Wales with company number 01664573); - GAM Sterling Management Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in England and Wales with company number 01750352); - GAM International Management Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in England and Wales with company number 01802911); - GAM London Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in England and Wales with company number with Company Number 00874802) Each of Registered Office: 12 St. James's Place, London, SW1A 1NX
GAM Sterling Management Limited, GAM International Management Limited and GAM London Limited are each authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. GAM Fund Management Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in Ireland with no. 156828) of Registered Office: George's Court 54-62 Townsend Street Dublin 2, Ireland
GAM Fonds Marketing GmbH, i.L. (a company limited by shares and registered in Germany under No. HRB 66857) of Friedrichstrasse 154, D-10117 Berlin, Germany. The competent Commercial Register is "Amtsgericht Charlottenburg" in Berlin. Liquidator: Daniel Durrer.