Re: rac vs dataguard

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:41:54 +0200

Some other things to consider that have not yet been mentioned
  • You can turn on flashback database for your physical standby, and activate it to do your reporting or do tests (that write to the database), or you can open it read only. For example you can do this during office hours or at predefined times. Then, later on you flash it back and put it back into recovery mode during the night. In the event of failure of the primary site, you will have to apply all logs to bring the standby up to date before you can switch over. So there's a tradeoff of using the resources for reporting vs HA (switchover takes longer)
  • With 11g, you can even open the physical standby read only while it is in recovery mode (take a look at the active data guard option) -- for some environments, this may be reason enough to upgrade, as contrary to the physical standby that you only open read only at a given point in time (and therefore start lagging behind the primary) this is a near-realtime reporting solution.

Just my CHF0.02 :-)

Cheers

Stefan

Stefan P Knecht