RE: Trying to wrap my head around TAF

From: D'Hooge Freek <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 12:14:54 +0200

I think you could still encounter the following scenario:
  • a client is connected to one of the instances
  • in this session a query is started and the client is waiting to get the results back (no results retrieved yet
  • at that moment, the instance fails
  • the client keeps waiting

Freek D'Hooge
Oracle Database Administrator
tel +32(0)3 451 23 82

From: [] On Behalf Of fairlie rego Sent: donderdag 16 juli 2009 4:36
To:; Cc: ORACLE-L; Jeremy Schneider
Subject: Re: Trying to wrap my head around TAF

When the primary site really, really fails, the VIPs won't be available and that could be a large delay before the client gives up (that's what VIPs were intended to prevent). To get around this problem we use the outbound_connect_timeout in the client's sqlnet.ora and have set it to 3 seconds. So incase a vip is offline we do not wait forever...

Fairlie Rego
Senior Oracle Consultant
M: +61 402 792 405