Re: reset the SCN for the database

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:21:41 -0500

Joe,

Going by the standard answer, it will take around 500 yeras for you to run out of SCN with 16K commits/sec. So there is no way you will run of SCNs in (y)our life. Also the SCN structure has an internal limitation of increment values. It can not be incremented to arbirarily high values. So you can not use the ADJUST_SCN or _minimum_giga_scn to reach the limit :)

So technically speaking the first error you may get with currnet versions of will be ORA-1513, but you will get umpteenl ORA-1558s as all the rollback segments would have dead by that time.

Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan

Oracle Database 10g Real Application Clusters Handbook http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007146509X/

Oracle Wait Interface: A Practical Guide to Performance Diagnostics & Tuning http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/007222729X/