RE: migrate database 10.1 on HP-UX to 10.2 on AIX

From: Vishal Gupta <vishal_at_vishalgupta.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:59:36 +0100

If both source and destination platform of same endian format, then you dont need to convert the files. You can directly transfer the files as its and plug them in destination database. Both HP-UX and AIX are BIG endian.

SELECT * From V$TRANSPORTABLE_PLATFORM;

Regards,
Vishal Gupta
http://www.vishalgupta.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of Asif Momen Sent: Mon 13/07/2009 12:25
To: ujang.jaenudin_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: migrate database 10.1 on HP-UX to 10.2 on AIX

Hi,

Basically, there are two requirements:

  1. Upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2 and
  2. Migrate from one platform to another.

I would have taken the following approach in the mentioned order:

  1. Migrate to AIX
  2. Upgrade to 10gR2

In this way, my source database will be intact if (for whatever reason) we have to fallback.

How to Migrate

  1. Create a mount point on AIX (assuming you have one)
  2. Using NFS, mount the AIX mount point on HP with read-write access.
  3. Open the source database (HP) in read-only mode
  4. Convert all the HP-datafiles in parallel to AIX using RMAN's convert command
  5. Unplug the AIX shared mount point from HP
  6. Re-create the controlfile on AIX
  7. Backup your new database

Regards

Asif Momen
http://momendba.blogspot.com

	From: Ujang Jaenudin <ujang.jaenudin_at_gmail.com>
	To: "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
	Date: Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 12:59 AM

	sorry not to mention about datasize, it is about 1TB.

-- thanks and regards ujang | oracle dba | mysql dba jakarta - indonesia -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l