Re: Flash-only MetaLink :-(

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 07:38:38 -0700 (PDT)

> for most of
> my problems/questions I can simply do a Google search and
> find my
> answers, then I use the OTN forums and this list, and if I
> still have
> a serious problem, then I finally resort to Oracle
> Support.

There's a little known fact about Metalink search. You can search for a keyword that has $ or #. For example, you can search for "user$". If you do that on a general search sites like Google, it strips $ and treats it like "user" and you get billions of hits. This Oracle-awareness extends to error code searches; searching for "ORA-60" is the same as for "ORA-00060" or "ORA-000060", while on Google you have to type them all.

> As an aside, I personally like the ability to see all of
> the SR's
> created by anybody in our organization. We are pretty big

Classci Metalink does that too.

On the other hand, neither Classic nor MOS allows you to search your SRs. For that, I opened an SR. It didn't go anywhere. So I downloaded our SRs and allow coworkers to search on our Intranet Sharepoint server. Details are at http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/MetalinkSRs.txt

Yong Huang