Re: Flash-only MetaLink :-(

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:59:44 +0100

Well, I think that I can raise somewhat more than half a cheer for my oracle support. It seems to me that it offers improvements in the following areas. Configuration management - you wouldn't have got any of the system health stuff in the old version. Search - the search engine is still as embarrassing as ever, but at least search refinement actually works, so you can exclude all the rdb stuff! Personalization - not the greatest still, but a big improvement. Its also of course the case that oracle support does not just deal with dba types - in fact we may well be in a minority since every functional apps person I've ever net seems to have to log an sr a week! I'm sure that i'm not the only one hoping that the server os's mentioned in this thread aren't really servers being used for web browsing, and finding it hard to believe that they are also used as clients of the corporate mail system. Oh and finally, for once oracle consulted well and actually asked about flash when trialing mos, it isn't unreasonable to assume that the results were positive.

On 7/10/09, Mathias Magnusson <mathias.magnusson_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, but what does it show? We load data as binary? Is there any other kind
> of data to load into a computer? Why is data transferred in a circular
> fashion and not back through the path it took the first time.
>
> No, it does not matter. It just graphic showing me that it's working... But
> the actual images seems to be marketing... Typically communication is shown
> as trafic going from one computer to another an then back to the first. Same
> with the binary stuff. Binary data is usually received in a serial fashion,
> not in random orden and placed into a stream the way the graphic depicts it.
>
> It just looks like marketing tries to show something techies will be amused
> by and they're failing miserably.
>
> Mathias
>
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:04 PM, J Buchanan <oracle_at_digistar.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 10, 2009, at 1:13 AM, Mathias Magnusson wrote:
>>
>> What is the binary stream supposed to represent and the three computers
>>> shown with an arrow passing through them several times?
>>>

>> Customized progress "bar" loading the flash data.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info