Re: Flash-only MetaLink :-(

From: Robyn <>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 15:45:26 -0400

I received an email stating that Metalink was going away and that I needed to download the proper version of Adobe flash for My Oracle Support. I typically don't put flash on any of my machines, so I replied to the email with this:

Received the email about Adobe flash and the last thing I want to

deal with is maintaining Adobe on all the machines I may need to

access support from.

This is just one of many reasons why I use metalink less and less and

less. There's so much junk on the screen and in the search results

that I can find better answers faster with google.

They opened an SR within about 30 minutes and someone must have actually actually read it because the title of the SR is 'Using google is better a search than using Flash'

The response was a very nice note saying that they were sorry there were things that I didn't like about the new support tool and that they would escalate my feedback to management. I received updates every day for about 3 days, apologizing that they could not help and asking if there was anything else they could do for me and if not, could they close the SR, please.

Although I doubt management will ever see the thing, it was nice to know that the email actually was seen by a person and it was acted on quickly. I expected it to land in a bit bucket and get purged instantly.

And I'm really glad I didn't use the words I almost used in the email, as it's now readable by everyone in my company with access to the single, company wide CSI.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams