Re: Trying to locate a cursor with very little information

From: Tanel Poder <>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 17:49:37 +0800

Thanks for asking the question, Chen. You motivated me to finally write a blog entry about this ;-)

Basically you can take an errorstack level 3 or processstate level 10 dump of the target process with oradebug and the *cursordump* section contains the currently open cursors.

Tanel Poder

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Cary Millsap <>wrote:

> Chen,
> It sounds like you've had some good fun. Thank you for letting me know how
> you got your "top-truncated" trace data. It all makes sense now.
> And *thank you*: we did redesign the home page recently. We
> added the new Follow Us pane on the left, and we "orthogonalized" the banner
> links (Software, Services, Education, Support). The flash quotes have been
> there for a few months, though. The goal, of course, is to help make sure
> people understand that we exist (I meet people all the time who still don't
> realize that I severed my association with Hotsos in early 2008), and that
> we have lots of great ways we can help people make their software go faster.
> Cary Millsap
> Method R Corporation
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Chen Shapira <> wrote:
>> > I agree with Kerry.
>> >
>> > I'm surprised, though, that there's no PARSING IN CURSOR #2 anywhere in
>> the
>> > trace stream preceding the FETCH #2 line. Whether there's a PARSE #2 or
>> not,
>> > I'd expect a PARSING IN CURSOR #2 to precede either the FETCH #2 or an
>> > #2 in there somewhere. What circumstance do you think caused Oracle not
>> > emit the PARSING IN CURSOR section?
>> Ah, I expect that Oracle did not emit the parsing section.
>> You would, however, miss the parse command if you never had access to
>> the trace file, and got your information from listening in to the
>> network, starting few minutes too late...
>> Please don't ask how I ended up doing this :)
>> Obviously it is not a normal debugging scenario and I was perfectly
>> justified in refusing to look for the SQL. I was just very curious if
>> it *could* be done...
>> BTW, Cary, Was there a redesign on Method-R homepage? I love the new
>> banner with the quotes :)
>> Thanks,
>> Chen
-- Tanel Poder --