RE: Reporting and Data Analysis Tools

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:30:51 -0400

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania just plunged and bought a BO enterprise license for $9 million since we already use SAP for a lot of things. It was a huge shock to everybody. I don't think anybody in the state was thinking about it until the announcement was made. It makes it kind of hard for us to use anything else when the tools we want have to compete with "free." So now we are in the process of trying to re-engineer everything toward a BO solution.

Donald Freeman
Database Administrator II
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Department of Health
Bureau of Information Technology
2150 Herr Street
Harrisburg, PA 17103
<mailto:dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>

From: Goulet, Richard [mailto:Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com] Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 10:21 AM
To: Freeman, Donald; Lee.Robertson_at_acxiom.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Reporting and Data Analysis Tools

Well, what do you know, I stand corrected. Thank you Donald, that explains a whole pile of recent heartburn with the product.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International

From: Freeman, Donald [mailto:dofreeman_at_state.pa.us] Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 10:07 AM
To: Goulet, Richard; Lee.Robertson_at_acxiom.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Reporting and Data Analysis Tools

You sure about Business Objects? I think SAP owns that.

Donald Freeman
Database Administrator II
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Department of Health
Bureau of Information Technology
2150 Herr Street
Harrisburg, PA 17103
dofreeman_at_state.pa.us<mailto:dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Goulet, Richard Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:53 AM
To: Lee.Robertson_at_acxiom.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Reporting and Data Analysis Tools

Lee,

    The Oracle BI/Hyperion solution is "not bad". There is a meta data layer that really can become a full time job maintaining if so allowed. It can support pre-built reports that are generated based on time, events, etc.. It also allows "power users" to build their own reports and allows for "easy" access to the data by general users for adhoc requests without their being SQL knowledgeable. Warning, this last part can get out of hand pretty quick so I recommend reasonable profiles inside the database.

    A second product that comes to mind is Business Objects, also owned by Oracle. It's very versatile, but you need a developer to set the reports up. After that it's just a matter of the end user subscribing to the report or scheduling it.

    I believe both products can present reports as either e-mail or web based retrieval.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Robertson Lee - lerobe Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 8:03 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Reporting and Data Analysis Tools

Hi,

We have a requirement to supply a customer with a Reporting and Data Analysis Tool recommendation and I have absolutely no experience in this field whatsoever....

Some examples put up for consideration were Crystal Enterprise Server, Oracle BI/Hyperion, Alterian DDV but this list was obviously not exhaustive. Has anyone gone through anything similar and can point me to best practices, documentations, case studies, previous implementations etc.

I could just go through each products glossies/white papers etc but I am not sure that would be of any use initially as I wouldn't know which was better than the others.

The Data Warehouse will be built on Oracle 10g on AIX and will have Mart(s) generated from it for reporting purposes.

Sorry for the vagueness of the request but I really am a newcomer to this sort of stuff.

Regards and TIA.

Lee

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank You.