Re: archivelog performance issues - Windchill app.

From: Julio Aguilar-Chang <jachang_at_lanl.gov>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 10:58:34 -0600

Thanks for the thorough response Mark. I agree with you and the others who responded and the first item on my to-do list on this db when I took over was to enable archivelog mode and implement RMAN (the previous DBA left a script to do cold backups, which I intend to keep since the maintenance window allows for it, but we run the risk of course of losing ~2000 committed transactions if the failure occurs at the end of the day).

By the way, this database supports a PTC Windchill application.

I am just trying to figure out what the previous DBA knows about performance impact of archivelog mode that I don't. I think we are all on the same page on this issue (except of course for my predecessor!).