RE: No to SQL? Anti-database movement gains steam

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 13:15:33 -0400

"Bingo. IOW, a group of inexperienced and incompetent developers decides to "write a web 2.0 site" and shazam, now "ALL enterprises should do the same". I seem to recall that same argument with the shopping carts of 8 years ago."

I'd be very careful making these kinds of statements. In my experience, the folks working at companies like Google, Facebook, MySpace, Ning, LiveJournal, etc. are easily as bright and experienced as the folks who work in tech at banks, pharmaceuticals, etc.

They've simply made a different determination - that the cost of using a relational database in a scale-up or scale-out configuration is greater than the cost of using one of these non-traditional data stores. Many of these companies have data needs that scale exponentially with increases in revenue. Consequently, scale is of extreme importance, as is performance. I know an online advertising startup that has been up and running for less than a year and already has close to 50TB of data it's analyzing, and they expect that to grow around 1TB/day through 2009, and as high as 10TB/day through 2010. They do indeed collapse data periodically, etc., but still - if they were going to buy that kind of horsepower with Oracle, how much would they spend?

Instead, they use CouchDB and another non-SQL-esque database whose name I can't remember. Since they wrote their apps from scratch, there was equal cost to develop against those as there would be against Oracle/MySQL/SQL Server.

Of course, the article is overblown and hyperbolic, because that makes for a much better story. But the reality is that while SQL-based, ACID-compliant databases are not going anywhere, there are other data storage models out there that may fit better, depending on your application.

So why can't we have both?

Matt