Re: log_archive_max_processes in DG

From: Ravi Madabhushanam <ravi.madabhushanam_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 13:05:07 +0530

Kumar,

IMHO , setting LOG_ARCHIVE_MAX_PROCESSES to 30 would be an overkill. General setting would be 4 to 6. I recommend setting this value as per your present environment and DG configurations.

This parameter can be modified using "alter system" .

You need to consider the below aspects when setting this parameter:

1. peek Redo generation rate
2. Size of REDO log file
3. Datagaurd mode ( LGWR or ARCH) if it is LGWR then
log_arch_max_processes will not play significant role. 4. Network latency for standby

If the redo log size is more and network latency is also on the higher side i would recommend having this value to number of redo groups to make sure that there is always one spare archiver process to address local archiving, in case all other are busy in archiving remote destinations.

Regards,
Ravi.M