Re: No to SQL? Anti-database movement gains steam

From: Toon Koppelaars <>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 05:28:08 +0200

> Goulet, Richard wrote:

It's simply a matter of people who want to forget history and repeat the
> mistakes of the past.

Yes, so true.
I always wonder why this keeps on happening in our profession. And not, lets say, in civil engineering.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Goulet, Richard <
> wrote:

> Well, well, this dark horse has risen yet again. There were many
> similar items like this over the years. B-tree libraries that allowed one to
> imbed a database into any application. HP Turbo-Image that did a super
> b-tree setup. Worked very fast, but was a pain in that uncommitted data was
> visible every where immediately, row locking made it a real problem for
> anyone else, reliability was an issue as well, and don't even talk about
> changing the database structure as that took a lot of downtime.
> The ideas that they presented & yes I've been listening to the
> presentation they made are OLD HAT and simply the desires of a web/java
> developer to want to control their own destiny. Problem is that once that
> person dies, gets layed off, or even fired your stuck with a non-compliant
> application and database that no one understands or knows how to maintain.
> I guess some would call it job justification, by subversive action in my
> mind. Then, of course comes the idea of data sharing. These apps will not
> be able to do so without bridging software that surely isn't going to be
> available without the original creator. OH, yes, there is always the
> problem of when one of those "commodity" servers decides to crash and burn.
> If you believe that the guy/gal who built this nightmare is going to fix it
> your severely mistaken. It's wonderful how they can come up with
> justification for what they want to do until it goes production and all hell
> breaks loose at which time they know nothing about it.
> I'm also rather puzzled by their comparison between their nosql
> alternatives and MySql's write capability. If you look on MySql's web site
> they plainly tell you that their not the worlds fastest database at writes,
> only reads. Kinda like comparing the abilities of a car and a motorcycle to
> back up a hill.
> Short answer, we've all been there, done that before and are still
> smarting from the end results. It's simply a matter of people who want to
> forget history and repeat the mistakes of the past.
> *Dick Goulet***
> Senior Oracle DBA
> PAREXEL International

Toon Koppelaars
RuleGen BV

(co)Author: "Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals"