No to SQL? Anti-database movement gains steam

From: Sunil Kanderi <sunil.kanderi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 11:47:29 -0700

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9135086 Interesting article in ComputerWorld about the NoSQL movement. Most of my DBA experience has been primarily related to large ERP applications and recently had to start supporting Java Development environment and it almost feels like a totally different world. Looking at ORM tools like Hibernate, which is very popular with Java crowd, it baffles me as to how little SQL one really needs to know to get by with and their general aversion to understanding SQL. At this point these NoSQL alternatives do not seem to apply to the enterprises, but mostly to Web 2.0 based applications. However things could change and was curious to know what the broader Oracle community thinks about these alternatives especially with Cloud computing and databases on the cloud, fast catching on within the enterprises. At my work place, we are migrating all out hardware/database infrastructure to a hosted platform and I wouldn't be surprised if within the next three years all our applications being totally supported on a cloud platform. This will undoubtedly have a big impact on the infrastructure folks, be it OS/hardware or Database.

Here is a good discussion on the article sited above.

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=683807

Best,
Sunil.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/sunilkanderi