RE: W|tee|F? DataPump doesn't work with Unix tee function?

From: Bellows, Bambi (Comsys) <"Bellows,>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 08:22:01 -0500

Bradd -

Thank you for your quick response. The expdp is crapping out due to internal Oracle errors, which, thankfully, are not my issue. However, because of that, no logfile is generated, and, as such, cannot be parsed. As for the 2>&1, for whatever reason, that does not work in this flavor of Unix. Wish it did.

Thanks again, so much, for your response...

Bambi.

From: Bradd Piontek [mailto:piontekdd_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2009 8:09 AM
To: Bellows, Bambi (Comsys)
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: W|tee|F? DataPump doesn't work with Unix tee function?

Have you tried
a) setting LOGFILE i your parameter fiel and parsing that OR b) expdp username/incrediblysecretpassword parfile=x.par 2>&1 | tee - somefile

Bradd Piontek
  "Next to doing a good job yourself,

        the greatest joy is in having someone
        else do a first-class job under your
        direction."
  • William Feather

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Bellows, Bambi (Comsys) <bbel5_at_allstate.com> wrote:

Friends -

I am trying to mechanize a datapump process and send an email if it fails. Problem is that

expdp username/incrediblysecretpassword parfile=x.par|tee -a somefile

does not, in fact, tee -a anything! I can do

expdp username/incrediblysecretpassword parfile=x.par >somefile 2>somefile

but that disables output to the screen, which the user running the job certainly wouldn't like. So... three questions...

  1. How do you get output onto the screen and into a file without using tee?
  2. How in the world did Oracle manage to disable tee in the first place?
  3. Why would they want to?

Other than that, best wishes to all my good friends for a lovely holiday and/or quiet list day!

Thanks!

Bambi.