Re: CRS and Voting Disk Storage Options -- Oracle 10gR2 RAC on Sun Sparc

From: hrishy <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:11:11 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Sriram

Even in 9i RAC you dont need cluster volume manager .

OCR and voting disk can rreside on

a)NFS
b)Raw Devices (our development servers use this for OCR and voting devices)
c)OCFS which is oracles cluster file system (in my implementation we use this )
Ours is a two node cluster and we have 3 copies of voting disk.

In this context, how does Oracle Clusterware manages the synchronization of data across nodes?. Is this handled by the clusterware.

Yes this is correct

I am afraid i did not understand the last question

regards
Hrishy

From: Sriram Kumar <k.sriramkumar_at_gmail.com> Subject: Re: CRS and Voting Disk Storage Options -- Oracle 10gR2 RAC on Sun Sparc To: "hrishy" <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: "LS Cheng" <exriscer_at_gmail.com>, "Oracle-l FreelistsList" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: Tuesday, 30 June, 2009, 12:57 PM

Hi Hrishy/Cheng,

Thanks for your inputs. I am not planning to use raw volumes for the DB.

IIRC, in 9i we needed a Cluster Volume Manager for managing the raw volumes. in 10g, if we plan to use ASM then we dont need to go for Clustered volume manager as it comes along with the Sun/Veritas Clusterware and that is expensive.

My question is if we plan to use ASM then ASM does not support OCR and voting disk (Cluster should be started before starting ASM) and you have to create it outside ASM and raw volumes with regular volume manager is the only option.i.e. i guess same disk mounted in both the nodes with regular volume manager.

In this context, how does Oracle Clusterware manages the synchronization of data across nodes?. Is this handled by the clusterware.

Now the next question. If this is infact supported then how difficult is to manage the datafiles as well in the similar method?. If you look at the storage certification matrix then this option of raw volumes without clustered volume manager is not supported.

Best Regards
Sriram Kumar

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM, hrishy <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Sriram

You are correct.
You can use raw devices for datafiles in RAC.Infact OPS the predecssor of teh modern day RAC was primarily using RAW devices.

Howevr there are many limitations to raw devices that is why oracle first came out with ocfs and then ASM which offer raw like performance minus the overhead of managing them.

I udnerstand that Oracle12g would not support raw devices a warning for you if you intend to gow down that route with your RAC implementation

From: Sriram Kumar <k.sriramkumar_at_gmail.com>

Subject: Re: CRS and Voting Disk Storage Options -- Oracle 10gR2 RAC on Sun Sparc To: "LS Cheng" <exriscer_at_gmail.com>, "List, Oracle-l Freelists" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: Tuesday, 30 June, 2009, 11:20 AM

Hi,

One more question. if the data synchronization for OCR is managed with shared raw volume and without a cluster volume manager, then the same logic of synchronization should work for Oracle datafiles as well right?i.e..if you create datafiles on raw volumes without cluster volume manager or without ASM  that should also work right?.

Best Regards

Sriram Kumar

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:18 PM, LS Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

Raw Devices can be shared, you dont need any Cluster Volume Manager to do so.

Thanks

--
LSC

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Sriram Kumar <k.sriramkumar_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Cheng,

Thanks for the reply. how is the OCR and voting disk information synchronized if it is not shared?. Pls help me understand

Best regards Sriram Kumar

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM, LS Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com> wrote: Hi You store OCR and Voting Disks on RAW Devices. You dont need any third party cluster for this Thanks -- LSC On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Sriram Kumar <k.sriramkumar_at_gmail.com> wrote: Hi Folks,

We are planning to implement a Sun SPARC based 10g R2 cluster.

I see from the oracle link

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/certify/tech_generic_unix_new.html

That following storage options 1) Solaris Volume Manager for Sun Cluster 2) VERITAS Volume Manager (VxVM) with the cluster feature 3) Sun StorEdge QFS shared file system with hardware RAID support or with Solaris Volume Manager for Sun Cluster 4) Network Appliance network-attached storage (NAS) devices 5) Oracle Automatic Storage Management (ASM) We are looking at ASM but if we choose ASM then how will the Voting Disk and CRS would be managed? Do we still need Sun Cluster for managing this alone or how do you manage it?. Thanks in advance

Best Regards Sriram Kumar