Re: CRS and Voting Disk Storage Options -- Oracle 10gR2 RAC on Sun Sparc

From: LS Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:10:48 +0200

Hi

If you want to use Volume Manager to manage Raw Device then you need a Cluster Volume Manager. AFIAK a plain normal Volume Manager wont manage consistency across the volumes. If it's plain Raw I guess Oracle Clusterware handles it.

When I said Raw Device I mean plain raw device, plain disk partition with no Volume Group and Logical Volume whatsoever.

In 9i you used a Clustered Volume Manager because you need a third party Clustering Software in 9i to manage RAC so if you need a clustering software why dont use the cluster volume manager which comes with it? (ok may be the cost is a reason)

Corrections welcome

Thanks

--
LSC