Re: Physical Memory Fully Used and Swap is Not Used

From: LS Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:44:21 +0200

Hi

In the IO side you should enable direct i/o and aio in Linux (if you are using filesystems).

In the memory side you should enable hugepages, this is a nonswappable memory, i.e all SGA will be in physical memory. Be careful when setting this up though, some miss calculations will make Oracle use normal pages.

Regarding Linux uses all memory, that behaviour is default behaviour for ages, Linux tries to cache everything and uses all memory. Why leave memory free when you can use it, I think that is philosophy. There were some kernel parameters to change this behaviour but since Linux changes pretty fast and I cant really tell you if they still work in your Linux platform. Last time I checked they were working for RHEL 4 but no longer in RHEL 5 and I cant find the corresponding kernel parameters in RHEL 5 :-(

About your performance problem I think you better identify them first inside database (look some statspack or AWR if you have license). If Swap is not in use then the OS is not swapping, if there are heavy swap going on in Linux kswapd kicks in, in heavy memory starvation system when kswapd wakes up and freeing memory it hangs the system too! :-)

Thanks

--
LSC