Re: Backing up large DBs on ASM

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:04:46 +0200

Amir,

You didn't say, but I'm assuming when you say you're backing up to "tape" -- they're probably VTLs. In other words probably SATA disks or some other type of cheaper disk that your backup software presents as a tape.

What you can also consider, is adding those disks to your ASM, and keep a copy of the database in there. This has many advantages:

  • You don't take traditional backups anymore, you only take incrementals to recover the copy
  • Using BCT, those incrementals become very fast -- size of the database doens't really matter anymore, only how much of its data changes is what matters (regarding the time needed for backups)
  • In the event of datafile loss or failure in your primary datafiles, you simply switch to the copy -- the MTTR speed of that recovery method beats even the fastest backup SANs
  • For added security, you can even dump the copy to tape once a week or so

In most cases, the disks are already there, you just need to "use" them differently, to get the most out of them

If you need additional information about this concept (I'm using it successfully for many clients) -- feel free to contact me off-list.

Cheers

Stefan

Stefan P Knecht
CEO & Founder