Re: Trying to wrap my head around TAF

From: Jeremy Schneider <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:52:09 -0500

"Server-side TAF" is a reference to storing the TAF configuration info in the server, and having the client pull it down at connect-time. Not well documented, but very interesting. Look out for surprising rules of precedence - the server configuration always over-rides the client tnsnames.ora!

See also:

I've configured TAF for automatic failover to a standby (along with dataguard broker automatic failover) -- but I haven't configured TAF for both RAC and DG in the same database. It would be cool to hear if someone else out there on the list has done this. :)

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Charles Schultz <>wrote:

> For #2, I do see table 95-3<>,
> but I missed how it specified "server-side TAF". How does a *server*transparently failover?
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 14:56, Charles Schultz <>wrote:
>> 2) Similar to this, I am trying to understand the different TAF parameters
>> used in dbms_service.create_service<>.
>> The documentation has very little to say about them (just the bare bones -
>> the 11g documentation<>is exactly the same I think), and when one implicitly creates a service by
>> modifying the SERVICE_NAMES parameter, all the parameters default to null
>> (according to dba_services). Are those TAF parameters actually used, or are
>> they merely place-holders for "future" functionality? If they do play a role
>> in TAF, what and how?

Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL