passwords in different instances

From: <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:17:58 -0500

If I have two users existing in two separate databases ( and these users have the same value in the password column of the dba_users view, does this mean that they have the same passwords?

In other words. if I enter the following command:

alter user USER1 identified by values 'XXXXXXX'

where XXXXXX = select password from dba_users where username = 'USER2'

will the USER1 and USER2 have the same passwords?

thank you

Gene Gurevich