Any comments on database/file system storage options?

From: Maureen English <sxmte_at_email.alaska.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:56:06 -0800

Hi,

We have 3 RHEL5 machines and are trying to decide how to correctly configure them as a clustered system that will run a variety of applications, as well as many Oracle databases.

Oracle tells us that the only options are ASM or CLVM with GFS. Isn't ASM only for Oracle databases, though?

We are currently at release 10.2.0.4.0 for our Oracle databases.

Any comments?

Note that we currently have these 3 machines set up with LVM2 and Oracle Clusterware, but are not running any RAC databases, just single instance databases. The problem we've run into is in trying to resize the LUNs.

  • Maureen (not a sysadmin....)