Re: Enterprise mangler More fuel to the fire

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_bluegecko.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:11:39 -0700

On May 4, 2009, at 11:38 AM, kyle Hailey wrote:
> I3 seems pretty good from the demos I've seen and clients I've know
> that use it. The issue I hear is that its extremely difficult to set
> up. When I talked to Precise about trying it out they said that an
> Precise consultant was required to come set it up. That's too much for
> me.

My biggest objection to Symantec (AKA Precise) I3 was that the agent API was not open. That meant the only way you can use the time-series wait data on each instance is via the GUI. There was no ability to write monitoring or automate any task against that data. With ASH and AWR you can dice and slice the data any way you want using SQL. My earlier version experience with I3 doesn't support the assertion that you need a consultant to set it up.

Regards,

Jeremiah Wilton
Blue Gecko, Inc.
http://www.bluegecko.net