From: Goulet, Richard <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:50:26 -0400

    Step 1, shutdown DB normally. 2 shutoff the listener, 3 restart your db to the mount state, 4, alter system set job_queue_processes=0 scope=memory, 5 open the database, but keep everyone out (don't use restricted mode), 6 run catalog again with no body attached to the database. If that succeeds and the dba views work again, thank your lucky stars, shutdown make a backup and then restart everything normally.

    If not, restore from last good backup.

    If no backup, rebuild database & tender your resignation.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International

[] On Behalf Of Guillermo Alan Bort Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 8:15 AM
To: oracle-l-freelists
Subject: Deadlock on CDC_ALTER_CTABLE_BEFORE

After a newbie mistake I get a few errors from the data dictionary (dba_* views not working, synonyms brokent, etc). Obviously the data dictionary is broken. When I try to re-create it using catalog.sql I get these errors:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-04020: deadlock detected while trying to lock object SYS.CDC_ALTER_CTABLE_BEFORE I opened the database in restricted mode.

Any ideas?

Alan Bort
Oracle Certified Professional