Re: Wrong execution plan

From: Joerg Jost <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:50:17 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 10.06.2009, 10:18 -0400 schrieb Paul Drake:
> Hi.
> No, nothing in particular.
> The philosophy is just the opposite.
> This piece of software is widely in use.
> The chances that your issue has been encountered and identified by
> others that have opened service requests and even resolved by Oracle
> and included in a patchset are actually quite good.
> When you open a service request, one of the questions posted is "why
> have you not applied the latest patchset".
> You're welcome to go through this educational process yourself - open
> a support request for an optimizer issue on
> The responses will be one of the following:
> - fixed in
> - fixed in
> - fixed in
> - fixed in
> - in development
> - wow - an actually new error condition.
> good luck.
> Paul

Hi Paul,

you're absolutely right, and, if the customer pays for it, i will patch the Database up to But it is some kind of difficult to explain to the customer, that he have to pay for this and i can not guarantee that this installation will resolve the problem.

My question is more "academical", if you know what i mean. I try to dig into the reason for this obviously wrong excecution plan.

Our ERP - Software is also widely in use and no other customer is hitting this behavior. So i try to understand the reason behind to avoid it in the future.

Of course, if it is an Oracle Bug, i will not be able to avoid it, but if it is not, i probably can.

Thx again for your valuable response.

You can have it: Fast, Right or Cheap, pick 2 of the 3.
Fast + Right is Expensive
Fast + Cheap will be incorrect.
Right + Cheap will take a while.