RE: Oracle on Virtual Machines

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:57:35 -0400

There should be a long discussion on Oracle on VM in the May archives. Oracle discourages the use of VMWare through licensing restrictions which it does not apply to itself if using Oracle VM. You have to buy a license for every CPU on the VM host whether or not you are using it. I think the Oracle VM uses a config file to set the number of CPU's that Oracle uses. We don't have any production Oracle VM's but have some development on VM clusters. We have a lot of production SQL Server VM's.

Donald Freeman
Database Administrator II
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Department of Health