Re: dataguard connection question

From: Mathias Magnusson <mathias.magnusson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 07:23:11 +0200

Read up on TAF. Transparent Application Failover.

You want to configure an alias the programs connect to so you can change the definition yourself and in one place and not in a set of property files. It works well once you get it set up. I suggest testing by hand with SQ*PLUS when you set it up so you can see that your session is kept when it fails over.

The basic thing is that the connection specification has to define both databases and specify some details on the failover of the session. It makes the specification fairly long and that is why you want to keep it in tnsnames and not spread it out in Java code or property files.

Mathias