Re: Maximum export file size

From: Hans Wijte <hans.wijte_at_nl.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 12:26:16 +0200

From Metalink document Subject: Doc ID: 62427.1 :

    In many cases the standard API's for file operations use a 32-bit signed
  word to represent both file size and current position within a file (byte
  displacement). A 'signed' 32bit word uses the top most bit as a sign   indicator leaving only 31 bits to represent the actual value (positive or
  negative). In hexadecimal the largest positive number that can be   represented in in 31 bits is 0x7FFFFFFF , which is +2147483647 decimal.   This is ONE less than 2Gb.

From Metalink document 290810.1 :

Parameter FILESIZE - Make Export Write to Multiple Export Files 1. Introduction.
1. By default, an export writes data to one export dumpfile until the maximum size is reached. The maximum value that can be stored in a file is dependent on your operating system. See also: Note 62427.1 "2Gb or Not 2Gb - File limits in Oracle" .
2. Starting with Oracle8i, export supports writing to multiple export files, and Import can read from multiple export files. If you specify a value (byte limit) for the FILESIZE parameter, Export will write only the number of bytes you specify to each dump file. .
3. In Oracle9i and higher, the FILESIZE parameter has a maximum value equal to the maximum value that can be stored in 64 bits (16 EB (exabyte) = 16384 PB (petabyte) = 16777216 TB (terabyte) = 17179869184 Gb (gigabyte)).

Hans

Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org 08-06-2009 12:04
Please respond to
niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com

Hans Wijte/Netherlands/Contr/IBM_at_IBMNL, gnahmed.c_at_stc.com.sa, "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>, oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
cc

Subject
Re: Maximum export file size

What exactly do you mean by wordsize here. I'm most familiar with win32 and linux 32bit and on both of those operating systems there is on 2gb limit on dumpfile size. I believe that instead the limit is determined by the file system (not os) in use. On old unix systems files were generally restricted to 2 or 4 gb but it hasn't been like that for sometime now.

On 6/8/09, Hans Wijte <hans.wijte_at_nl.ibm.com> wrote:
> 31
> Max file size depends on the wordsize of the OS ; a wordsize of 32 bits
> gives you a maximum file size of 2 Gb (is 2 - 1)
>

> Hans

> P Think before you print !
>

> Nizar Ahmed <gnahmed.c_at_stc.com.sa>
> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
> 08-06-2009 11:22
> Please respond to
> gnahmed.c_at_stc.com.sa

> "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
> cc
>
> Subject
> Maximum export file size
>

> Version 10.2.0.4 on Solaris 5.10
>
> What can be maximum file size of an export file? Are there any
> limitations.
>
> Thanks
>
> G. Nizar A. Baig
>
> This email may contains confidential material, any unauthorized usage is
> strictly prohibited and may lead into Legal accountability. If it is
> received by mistake, it should be deleted and the sender should be
> notified immediately.
> هذه الرساله قد تحتوي على معلومات سريه لذا فإن أي استخدام لأي من
محتوياتها
> بشكل غير نظامي يعتبر أمراً مخالفاً وقد يؤدي إلى المسائلة القانونية، وفي
> حال استلام البريد الالكتروني بشكل خاطئ فإنه يجب حذفه وإبلاغ المرسل بشكل
> مباشر
>

> Tenzij hierboven anders aangegeven: / Unless stated otherwise above:
> IBM Nederland B.V.
> Gevestigd te Amsterdam
> Inschrijving Handelsregister Amsterdam Nr. 33054214

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info