Re: Multiple RMAN catalogs

From: bao jiejie <>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 09:03:51 +0800

to my understanding, the rman catalog resync is based on your controlfile, other catalog resync with the current controlfile for updated.

run resync catalog, then your catalog will be resynced , try to make it as a job run timely...

Am i right ? please update me if i am wrong.

Thanks a lot
Yours Jiejie

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Guillermo Alan Bort <>wrote:

> Listers
> I am working on a backup standardization project (really interesting)
> and had an idea. I still haven't investigated this thoroughly, but I think
> it could be interesting nonetheless.
> I was wondering if anyone ever did this:
> I will have a few (say three) main sites (datacenters) where RMAN catalog
> servers will reside. I about 200 sites around the world and I wanted the
> clients to be able to use any catalog indistinctly. So, for instance, if
> CATALOG_A goes down, or there is a major incident in the DC that causes the
> whole site to be inaccesible or something like that, that other sites won't
> be affected. Media servers will be at each site, so there is no problem
> there. But I was wondering if there was a way to keep three different
> catalogs in sync. I though Streams (as they will be 10g dbs) but I'm not
> sure how rman will behave with streams, or if i would be violating any
> license agreement ;-)
> The other way I had though of was dataguard, but that would imply
> rebuilding it should the primary fail for some reason, and would require
> DBAs to intervene and posibly modify TNS entries around the world (I'm
> actually thinking of using virtual IPs here... I'd have to check with
> network guys first).
> The sites are way too far to implement a remote RAC
> thanks in advance
> Alan Bort
> Oracle Certified Professional

Best regards´╝î